In Hindu mythology, Lord Surya is considered as the supreme god who defeated the demons of darkness with his magnificent power, brightens the entire world with new hope. He is the source of all creatures and because of him, life on earth is still sustained. Surya is one such god who is visible to us every day. In Sanskrit, he is also known as “Pratyakshadaivam”. Surya is a Sanskrit word which means “The Sun”. In a solar system, the sun is at the center and as per Hindu Astrology he is the head of the Navagraha (Nine Planets), so he is known as Graharaja. He is also called by many other names which include Aditya, Vivasvan, Bhaskara, Ravi, Dinakar, and Sahasra Kiran. The Surya mantra is a way to connect to Lord Surya and gain the blessings of the supreme.
Usually, Surya’s iconography is depicted as riding a golden chariot drawn by seven mares, here seven might represents Seven colors of the rainbow or seven days in a week or seven chakras in the body. According to Rigveda Surya is the son of Kashyapa (a Vedic sage) and Aditi. Lord Surya is worshipped across India; his famous temple is at Konark in Orissa. Actually, the sun is the Guru(Teacher) of Lord Hanuman. Surya Mantra is a hymn or series of phrases recited to seek the blessings of Almighty Sun. It is the powerful mantra that gives positive energy, inner peace and strengthens the body. By chanting Surya mantras with full faith and devotion, helps us to get fame and success in life.
Who can and when to recite Surya Mantra?
- Regardless of gender and age, anyone can chant this Mantras
- You can initiate this powerful mantra’s on a Shukla Paksha Sunday, Makara Sankranti or Ratha Saptami day.
- It will be good if you can recite these mantras regularly, otherwise, you may chant it on Sundays and Saptami tithi, incase if you are not able to chant the mantras daily.
- The best time to vocalize these mantras is during “Brahma Muhurta”. Brahma Muhurta means it’s a period one and a half hours before sunrise.
How to chant Mantras of Lord Surya?
In fact, Surya mantras are easy to chant. There are certain rules each individual should follow to please the god.
- Before uttering these mantras, one should bathe in the Brahma Muhurta. In case of health issues, you should wash your face, arms, and legs
- Either you can use a photo or directly looking at the sun you can chant it.
- One can use Japa mala (Spatika mala) or red coral for chanting.
- Even some devotees offer water in a copper utensil to Lord Surya by chanting these mantras. It is advisable to adopt the practice of fasting on Sundays.
- Red color flowers are the favorite flowers of Lord Surya, So you can offer any red color flowers.
- Any sweet Prasada can be offered while worshipping.
- You can recite these mantras based on your comfort. One can vocalize for 3,7,9,108 and 1008 times a day for good results.
- One should pronounce the mantras correctly to get effective results.
Here some of the most significant mantras are listed below, you can learn and chant these mantras every morning during Brahma Muhurta to obtain your desired wishes.
Recommended Read: Each step of Surya Namaskar has a mantra associated. Learn about it here
1. Surya Mantra
नमः सूर्याय शान्ताय सर्वरोग निवारिणे
आयु ररोग्य मैस्वैर्यं देहि देवः जगत्पते ||
Namah Suryaya Shantaya Sarvaroga Nivaarine
Ayu rarogya maisvairyam dehi devah jagatpate
Here we are saluting the sun by saying that you are the reason for curing all diseases. Please bless us with long life, health and wealth.
By chanting this mantra helps us to eradicate all diseases and provides physical and mental strength.
2. Surya Beej Mantra
ॐ हराम हरिम ह्रौं सह सूर्याय नमः||
Om Hraam Hreem Hraum Sah Suryay Namah||
We are praising God for his divine power.
This mantra helps to remove negativity, healing all illness and provides fame with prosperity.
3. Surya Gayatri Mantra
ॐ भास्कराय विद्महे महादुत्याथिकराया धीमहि तनमो आदित्य प्रचोदयात||
Om Bhaskaray Vidmahe Mahadutyathikaraya Dheemahi Tanah Surya Prachodayat ||
This shloka talks about how the Surya is responsible for illuminating the world with his magical energy, in a similar way we are requesting God to give us higher intellect with his magnificent power.
It helps us to fight against fear, purifies devotee’s minds and saves us from upcoming obstacles.
4. Surya Vashikaran Mantra
ॐ नमो भगवते श्री-सूर्याय ह्रीं सहस्त्र-किरणाय ऐं
धर्म-कर्म-सहितायै ‘अमुक’ नाथय नाथय, मोहय मोहय, आकर्षय आकर्षय,
दासानुदासं कुरु-कुरु, वश कुरु-कुरु स्वाहा ||
Om Namoh Bhagawate Shree-Suryay Hreem Sahashtra Kiranay Aim Atul-Bal-Paraakramay Nava – Graha – Dash – Dik – Paal – Lakṣhmi – Dev – Vay, Dharma – Karma – Sahitayai ‘ Amuka’ Nathay Nathay, Mohay Mohay, Akarshay Akarṣhay, Daasanudaasam Kuru – Kuru, Vash Kuru – Kuru Swaha ||
this mantra is meant for the sun which is said to bring the entire world under your spell of attraction
This mantra helps to resolve married life and love relationship problems.
5. Aditya Hrudhayam Mantra
आधित्य ह्रुधाय पुण्यं सर्व सथृ विनासनं
जयावहं जबे नित्यं अक्षयं परमं शिवं||
Aadhitya Hrudhaya Punyam Sarva Sathru Vinaasanam
Jayaavaham Jabe nithyam Akshayam Paramam Shivam ||
You are the reason for destroying all obstacles and I am very grateful to you for everything you have offered.
One who chants this mantra can eradicate all negative thoughts and makes one fearless.
Overall Benefits of Surya Mantras.
Surya Mantras helps to create a connection between an individual and Lord Surya when chanted regularly. When a devotee chants these mantras with great devotion and faith they can obtain any desired boon with the blessings of Surya. Try to spend more time for chanting this mantra to fulfill all your aspirations. You can see an impending benefit from Surya Mantras including long life, wealth, fame, curing health issues, improving eyesight, provides knowledge, inner peace, strengthens body and soul.