Gayatri Mantra, also known as Savitri Mantra, is the most important mantra that is mentioned in Rig Veda. The Gayatri Mantra is dedicated to Savitar, the sun deity. A sage named Swami Vishwamitra had created this mantra and also told the benefits and significance of chanting Gayatri mantra. But according to Arya Samaj, Gayatri mantra is created in the praise of one of the supreme creator known as Om (ॐ) which is mentioned in the Yajurved.
Initially, this mantra was a part of the Upanayana Ceremony and was only chanted by Dvij men as a part of their daily rituals. But now, Gayatri mantra is chanted all over the world in a way of adoration, meditation, and prayer. Gayatri Mantra has several benefits and with regular recitation, one can gain name, fame, and money also. It brings peace and prosperity in your life and that’s why it is also called Maha Mantra.
The Gayatri Mantra
ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः
भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि।
धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात॥
Bhur Bhuvah Svah
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi
Dhiyo Yo nah Prachodayat
Meaning of Gayatri Mantra
Om: The most important spiritual and primeval sound;
Bhur: the physical body/Earth;
Bhuvah: the life force/Atmosphere;
Suvah: the soul/Outer Atmosphere;
Tat: That (God);
Savitur: the Sun, Creator (source of all life);
Bhargo: effulgence (divine light);
Devasya: supreme Lord;
Dhiyo: the intellect;
Yo: May this light;
Om is the most important spiritual sound. Before the creation of this universe, there was a void of pure existence. This void made a sound which is known as Om. According to Hindu mythology, Om is the beginning of the creation of the Universe. Om has all the energy of the universe and the sound of Om makes the environment peaceful and also brings peace of mind.
The Vyahrities – Bhur, Bhuvah, Svah
The words Bhur, Bhuvah, and Svah is known as the Vyahrities. The word Bhur means Earth or the physical body, Bhuvah means Atmosphere or the life force and Svah means Outer Atmosphere or the soul. The Almighty God is present everywhere and by chanting these Vyahrities, one can contemplate God to illuminate his/her mind with creativity and intuitive ability.
Recommended: Puja Room Collections
We meditate on to the power and glory of that most adored Supreme Lord, the creator and the energizer of the whole world, whose effulgence (divine light) illumines all realms (physical, mental and spiritual). May this divine light illumine our intellect.
O thou existence Absolute, Creator of the three dimensions, we contemplate upon thy divine light. May He stimulate our intellect and bestow upon us true knowledge.
How to chant Gayatri Mantra
Gayatri Mantra is the most powerful mantra that can control your mind, makes your mind more creative, eliminates all the negativity and also helps you to focus on your goals.
Here are a few steps that you should follow in order to get the entire benefit of Gayatri Mantra.
- You can chant Gayatri mantra any time of the day but this mantra should be chanted in Bramha Muhrat that is in the morning between 4 am to 5 am as well as at the night before sleeping.
- Take a bath (in the morning) and sit in yoga mudra. (One leg on the other)
- Take a Sphatik Mala or any rosary and chant Gayatri Mantra 108 times.
- You should close your eyes while chanting the mantras and should concentrate on each word you utter.
- Do not think about anything during the recitation of mantra because if you think about other things then you may pronounce wrong words that will lead to unwanted and bad results.
- Try to pronounce each word correctly and you’ll see how magical this mantra is.
Benefits of Chanting Gayatri Mantra
Gayatri Mantra has a ton of benefits and some of the benefits are mentioned below:
- It will help you to get the desired goal.
- It will increase your concentration power.
- It gives mental peace by dealing with the problems with an intellectual approach. You neec to chant the Gayatri mantra 1000 times and conduct a havan. All you need is vat, peepal, shami, goolar and a cauldron of milk to perform the havan.
- It increases the will power
- It connects with the almighty god.
- It brings peace within you and also near you.
- It enhances eternal power.
- It keeps us healthy.
- It protects its devotees from danger.
- It brings happiness around you.