Garuda Dev, has been worshipped over years by millions of devotees across the world. Hindu mythology describes him as the pakshi (bird) who has the torso and arms of a man and the wings, head, beaks and claws that of a bird Eagle. This Eagle bird is known as Garuda in Indian vedic language Sanskrit. He is considered sacred in Puranas, hence the name Garuda Dev. Garuda mantra is chanted by people to worship him.
His body is shiny golden in colour and along with white face he has large red wings which glorifies the significance of worshipping him. He is depicted as vahana (mount) of Lord Vishnu. He was born to Rishi Kashyap and Vinata. By birth he is half-brother of Devas (Gods), Daityas (demons), Danavas and Yakshas because of which he had immense power over the whole universe. His elder brother is Aruna, who is the charioteer of Sun, as described in Mahabharat.
Gruda Dev once initiated a war between him and the Gods. Using all his extraordinary might, abilities and powers he was able to defeat all of the Gods including Indra Dev, the king of heaven. After the war he flew away with the nectar vessel of Indra to earth, but later accepted to be the ride of Lord Vishnu. He has been worshipped as Vahana of Vishnu Dev since an eternity.
In Rigveda the sun in the form of a bird who brings the ambrosial Soma plant from heaven to earth.
Hindu scriptures written in Sanskrit are 108 in number. Garuda Upanishad or Garudopanishad is one of them which consists of Garuda mantras dedicated to Garuda dev. It belongs to Vaishnava sect and is associated with Atharvaveda.
The Garuda mantra as written in Garuda Upanishad is-
ॐ तत्पुरुषाय विद्महे सुवर्णपक्षाय धीमहि तन्नो गरुडः प्रचोदयात् |
oṃ tatpuruṣāya vidmahe suvarṇapakṣāya dhīmahi tanno garuḍaḥ pracodayāt |
The meaning of the mantra is, I bow to you as a great being. Oh! Golden winged powerful divine bird, bless me with light of knowledge and intelligence. Shine on my mind Lord Garuda.
How to recite the Garuda Mantra
One should keep his mind free of negative thoughts while enchanting. Reciting any sacred mantra requires you to first clean yourself and the place you are going to enchant in. People are required to take a holy bath, if possible in holy rivers before the lesson. Bathing in holy rivers is described to remove impurities from mind and body in Puranas. The Garuda Gayatri mantra is to be then recited with full devotion and faith on God. The number 108 is depicted as sacred in Vaids. Reciting the mantra 108 times brings special results. The devotees of Lord Shri Vishnu and Garuda dev recite this mantra 1008 times. It requires a strong and firm mind to complete all the resolutions with faith and devotion as the lesson is very difficult to do.
Benefits of Chanting Garuda Mantra
Garuda mantra has been proved to be beneficial to mankind. According to mythology, a scholar named Venkatesh composed the Garuda mantra and used to chant them every day while worshipping. He also taught this mantra to his disciples and the mantra continued to be chanted everywhere since then. The full benefits of Garuda mantra has been written in scriptures. Some of its benefits are described.
- Garuda Gayatri mantra makes life successful. This is a siddha mantra, which is considered very powerful in vedas. By reciting Garuda mantra a person can become free of sins committed in present and past lives. This will lead you to have a happy life and all the prosperity. As Garuda dev is associated with Lord Vishnu, chanting this mantra also brings you blessing of Lord Vishnu. Garuda dev is king of all the birds in the world. Hence reciting his mantras brings you blessings and protection from all the birds in the world.
- Garuda mantra removes fear and anxiety. Our Rishi-Munis (sages and saints) for a long time have been worshiping Gruda dev and chanting his mantras to remove all the human life fears and anxiety from their mind so that they can focus only on their devotion to God. That’s why we never see saints having any fear of life whether they are on mountains, in scorching sun or in snow. Having a special significance in Hindu mythology Garuda mantra is chanted by almost all saints.
- It brings the light of intelligence on mind. The meaning of the mantra is asking the Garuda dev to bring you intelligence and shine brightly on your mind. Hence chanting this mantra can bring you intelligence, leading you to have prosperity in your life.
- Reciting Garuda mantra every day brings down the fear of snakes. Garuda dev have always been an enemy to the snakes. According to mythology, his mother Vinata became a substitute wife to mother of all snakes. This revoked a hatred in Gruda dev’s mind for snakes. Hence chanting this mantra helps cope with fear of snakes. This mantra is also recited in case of venomous snake bites and in case of getting cursed by snakes or in case you mistreat a snake. Garuda dev listens to all his devotees and is pleased very soon, hence benefits of reciting the mantra are very high. It is believed that painful and deadly diseases like different kinds of cancers are caused by snakes when they curse you. Hence reciting Garuda mantra is a Great way to get relief from these serious diseases.
- Garuda Gayatri mantra is sometimes recommended in problems related to Rahu or Ketu.
Recommended Read: Amazing chanting benefits of Lord Krishna mantra